These sweets are really easy and quick to make. They are suitable for older children to assemble under sensible adult supervision and because they are ready quickly, the cooking will not take all day. These make cute seasonal gifts if bundled in a cellophane food bag and tied with ribbon.
Before starting, take a large sheet of baking parchment and grease lightly with a spray on oil. Place this on a heat resistant flat surface such as the kitchen counter top or table. If this is not heat resistant then use a baking sheet under the paper.
Fudge Nugget Ingredients
- 400g caster sugar
- 30g butter
- 150ml evaporated milk
- 200g good quality white chocolate, chopped
- 100g whole almonds
- 100g dried juicy cranberries
- Toast the almonds carefully by placing them on a baking sheet in a low oven. Nuts will toast and burn quickly becoming bitter and inedible so take care to watch them. The baking tray can be shaken around a couple of times during cooking to encourage the almonds to toast evenly. This whole process should only take 5 – 10 minutes depending on the oven in question and whether it has been pre-heated. When the almonds smell fragrant and have colored a little, remove them from the oven and set aside.
- Place the sugar, butter and evaporated milk in a large saucepan and bring to a gentle boil over a low heat.
- Keep stirring the mixture until it starts to caramelize. This takes about 10-15 minutes and it is important to stir carefully the whole time to prevent the mixture from sticking and burning. It is best to use a long handled wooden spoon which will stir gently and offer protection from the hot liquid. As it caramelizes the fudge will turn a golden brown color.
- Add the chopped white chocolate and stir quickly to melt. Then speedily add the almonds and cranberries, mixing well.
- Turn the heat off and carefully but quickly use a teaspoon to spoon large rounded dollops of mixture on to the greased baking parchment. This will start to set very quickly so work fast or get several people to help with this task.
- Once set and fully cooled, the nuggets are ready to eat or to package up. Store in an airtight container once fully cooled.
These nuggets are really delicious with many different varieties of nuts and dried fruits so they can be effectively made with whatever happens to be in the cupboard. Milk or dark chocolate could also be used although white chocolate compliments the caramel flavor best. Try pistachios, dried apricots, dark cherries, macadamia nuts and sultanas for variety.